Friday, December 9, 2011

Chinese Knockoff

Hello again! I've got big news...you are reading the blog of a brand new Certified Teacher!!! I'm now authorized to teach any subject grades PreK-8! I'm sooo excited to be finished with student teaching and can't wait to get my first teaching job. The only problem, jobs are few and far between around here. In the meantime I've applied for a PreK aide job at the school I've been student teaching/subbing at and I'm hoping it'll get my foot in the door until someone leaves.

I ended up subbing everyday this week and I have Monday and Tuesday lined up for next week! I'm happy that I'm busy but boy am I tired at the end of the day. The hardest part is switching all about, one day Kindergarten, next day 3rd, then down to 1st....crazy!

So, I haven't had much desire to cook lately because of the crazy so I came up with a recipe that I think if you enjoy Chinese food you will love it too. It's super simple, so simple in fact I had the Hubs do most of the work. As you know most of my Crockpot recipes I've posted are set on low for a whole school day so I usually start them in the morning so they'll be good when we get home. Well, I first tried this recipe on a weekend and found that it doesn't take all day so, since Mr. Man comes home for lunch each day, I prepped all the ingredients (all 3...yes THREE) and left a note for him to follow.

I adapted this from the BBQ pulled pork recipe I post in the past but this time we used chicken. I love sweet chicken dishes and that's usually what I get when we get Chinese. When I first made, I never intended for it to turn into a Chinese dish but while we were eating our BBQ Chicken sandwiches the Hubs said, "I think this would be great on white rice." Now really this isn't a shocking statement since he could eat rice with every meal....I'm thinking although he clearly looks Irish, with the red hair to prove it, there has to be some Asian blood in there or something.

So here we are eating my Chinese food knockoff tonight and it's awesome! Pretty sure there won't be any leftovers. Sadly, he refused to take photos for me so I don't have any to post for you but I hope you give this meal a try. If you are looking for this simplest dinner this is it.

Ingredients:
Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenders (About 6)
Chopped Onion (I used the frozen kind because I didn't have a fresh one. About half the bag)
Kraft Honey Hickory BBQ Sauce (Last time I just used Honey and it was almost too sweet)
White Rice

Put the chicken and onion in the crockpot. Pour BBQ sauce over until well saturated, stir until well coated. Cook on low for about 4-6 hours. Since I got home after it had cooked for about 2 hours I cranked it up to high for 2 more hours. Follow directions on the package for the white rice. We just scooped out our desired amount of rice and poured the chicken on top but you could mix together and serve if preferred. It's that simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment