Saturday, October 1, 2011

Black and White Pumpkin Patch

So in my last post I mentioned I've become obsessed with Pinterest.com....talk about spending time on the internet. It's like a little slice of heaven online! I've pinned so many craft ideas in the few weeks I've been on it. Probably enough to fill a years worth of craft time in (and I'm still adding like my life depends on it). Lots of cute house ideas too, if the hubs and I ever get one of our OWN! Anywho, I was finally able to head on over to Michael's and grab the supplies I needed for a fun fall craft. I thought I would share what I did incase any of you would like to give it a try! Happy crafting! :)


Scrapbook Pumpkins

So here is the post I stumbled upon that inspired me to get crafting. Aren't these scrapbook paper pumpkins so darn cute. The blogger this came from budgetbeautifulbungalow said she was inspired by a magazine. She cut out stripes of scarpbook paper and applied them vertically on her pumpkins with mod podge then once they were dry used a mod podge sealer. Mine turned out a little different.


Step 1
The first thing I did was paint the stem of my pumpkin black. I had picked a black and white design and wanted my stem to match. I purchased a funkin from Michael's that was already white but I noticed some black ones too...maybe if I do another one this size I will get a black one.


Step 2
Next I took the scrapbook paper I wanted to use and cut it into strips. I just kinda eyeballed it. The funkin I got was the smallest size they had and I ended up using about a page and a half of my paper to cover the whole thing.


Step 3
The messy part begins. Using a foam brush and matte mod podge...I'm sure you could use sparkle or gloss if you wanted...I applied some glue to the pumpkin first then placed a strip of the paper vertically, starting at the stem and working down. I made sure the paper covered the whole side and some of the bottom before I trimmed off the extra. Then I went back over the paper with mod podge, making sure it was glued well to the pumpkin. I did notice that I was having trouble with wrinkles to I decided I would cut my strips in half and that seemed to help. Work all the way around until the whole thing is covered.



Step 4
Once the whole thing is covered let it dry completely (probably around an hour) then apply a second coat of mod podge to make sure it is sealed. I don't have any sealer but if you do I would apply one or two coats the next day. **You'll notice in the picture I started this project on newspaper to protect my dining table...well in the process of rotating my pumpkin, smarty pants me noticed it was sticking to the newspaper and removed some of my scrapbook paper...luckily I had a small glass vase that I was able to prop it up on and once I was finished I let it dry on it with no problems.


WALLAA! Pretty cute huh? Hope I inspired some of you to get a little crafty this season. I love fall, it's my favorite time of year here in Texas and now my house will be nice and festive with a little bit of a twist from the normal fall decor. I also bought some smaller pumpkins and gourds and I plan on doing the same to them with different paper. I'll try to post them when I'm done and decide where their place on honor will be in the casa.

Thanks for stopping by! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment