Friday, October 28, 2011

A Promise is a Promise

So this morning I finally got around to breaking out the ole' Crockpot again. This week has been crazy with Red Ribbon Week madness and a class field trip I am truly thankful for a weekend with absolutely no plans! :) Time is flying by these days and I only have 3 weeks left of student teaching and although things can get crazy up there I am really going to miss all my kiddos. They really are a great bunch!

So today was mine and Mr. Man's 11 year "dating" anniversary! Gosh that sounds like forever, although we've only been married for almost 3 of those years. He was really sweet this morning and hid a card in my car so I would find it when I left for work. Too cute! Anyway, I thought it was only right that we actually ate a decent meal tonight to celebrate so I made the Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe I mentioned in a previous post. He loves this stuff so I think it was a good choice. Y'all will be proud of me too because I actually had enough brain power this morning to remember to take some pictures to post! So without further ado....


Alright so I tried to get a picture of all the ingredients you will need but I guess I wasn't as awake as I thought because I almost forgot the chicken broth until the last minute. And you'll notice by the picture the already sliced onion...yeah I got that far before I remembered the camera so you're lucky I had a moment of clarity!

Ingredients:
2 chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cans Ro-Tel (I actually only used 1 can and then used a can of dice tomatoes but I didn't want mine too spicy)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I added these in today)
1 can corn
1 onion, chopped
2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
1-2 cups of water
*1 packet taco seasoning 


(These ingredients are added after the soup is cooked and are optional)
tortilla chips
sour cream 
shredded mexican cheese


*So the original recipe had all these different seasoning listed but said you could just use packet of taco seasoning and seeing that I live in a typical American home and don't keep cumin or whatever it's called lying around I just opted for that. Makes this recipe super easy and remember that's an important part of getting into my recipe book.


(Looking at this picture I'm starting to think I may need a bigger crockpot. This was before the chicken was added. It was a close call this morning getting it all in there but I think it's because I added the additional can of white kidney beans.)


Put all of the ingredients but your toppings into the crockpot. Add the chicken last and make sure they are submerged the best that you can. Cook of high 6-7 hours or on low 8-9 hours. Shred chicken by stirring or remove and do this with a fork if need be. 




I like to add a few tortilla chips to the bottom of the bowl then pour some soup over it and top with sour cream and cheese....




MmmMmm it's good stuff and take it from someone that can't eat a lot of spice this is pretty mild, especially if you substitute the can of rotel with tomatoes like I did. I will say the aroma in this house when I got home hit me like a ton of bricks and I couldn't wake to sink my teeth into this stuff...I hope you'll feel the same way when you give it a try! Hasta Luego!



No comments:

Post a Comment